Updated 15 March 2020
On 11 March, the World Health Organization confirmed that Coronavirus (COVID-19) can be characterised as a global pandemic. There are now more than 150 confirmed cases in Scotland, with a number in the Lothians.
The Department of Health and Social Care will publish updated UK data on Coronavirus (COVID-19) every day at 2pm until further notice.
After 2pm, the Scottish Government will publish an update on the situation in Scotland.
This page will be updated when further guidance is received from Health Protection Scotland and NHS Lothian.
What we’re doing
The Council is working closely with Edinburgh Health and Social Care Partnership, NHS Lothian and Health Protection Scotland to monitor and respond to the national situation. Colleagues from across our service areas meet on a daily basis to identify and discuss the issues. We’ve committed £2m in immediate funding to support the proactive and preventative actions we’ll need to take to minimise the impact of the virus on our communities and services. We are working extremely hard to put plans in place to manage the situation as it develops, following official advice and guidance.
Different services and government agencies are responsible for leading different parts of our response:
- Scottish Government Department for Health and Social Care – the Chief Medical Officer confirms case numbers
- Health Protection Scotland – co-ordinates the response, information and advice on the Coronavirus (Covid-19)
- NHS – local and national NHS services are working to test individuals, and provide advice through calls to NHS 111
- The Council – works in partnership with these agencies to help residents stay informed, safe and well
Guidance for you
Below are some important steps you can take to protect yourselves and others. It’s best to
- always carry tissues with you and use them to catch your cough or sneeze
- bin the tissue immediately
- to kill germs, wash your hands with soap and warm water, or, if hand-washing is not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitiser gel.
Latest information on the coronavirus can be found on NHS inform, including self-isolation advice
Questions and answers on the coronavirus are available on the World Health Organisation website.
Coronavirus – colleague advice and information